Saturday, August 2, 2008

Vol 7 (Tertiary Article) - Let the Stories Affect You

Staying until the end of the credits.

I don't know when I started, or if I've always done this.

Going to see a movie, being deeply moved, and then staying until the very end of the credits.

Why do I do this? Because I want to let the stories affect me.

I notice that most people leave a movie as soon as it's over.

The movie could have been very powerful and deeply moving, and yet the majority of people leave as soon as the credits begin.

I don't think this is a good thing to do.

It is tearing one's heart and soul away from an experience which had begun to weave itself into one's psyche.

For me, the credits are a chance to allow my thoughts and feelings to settle inside of me, to integrate.

It would be traumatic, like being forcefully pulled away from the body of a dead friend, to instantly depart from the theatre, and resume wearing my mask and erecting the tall,cold wall around my emotions.

Because : Movies are Stories.

Stories are a means of human beings sharing experiences without their fellow human beings directly experiencing them.

The reason we share experiences with our fellow human beings is, it is by the confirmation and approval of others that are our own lives receive validation and a sense of significance.

All human activity is the execution of service to one's fellow human beings, it is by serving others and being acknowledged for our service that our lives possess a sense of purpose.

Stories are told to move one's fellow human beings, to show them something that will contribute to their life.

Stories are the means by which knowledge is shared and a perspective on life heretofore unknown to someone shown.

Being affected by a story is a fundamental part of the experience, denying being moved, is denying one's instinctual reaction to a powerful stimulus, and cannot help but diminish a person and deprive them of an opportunity to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment